Your doctor has scheduled you for a test called videonystagmography. The VNG is a test of the inner ear and portions of the brain. The VNG can help your doctor understand the cause of your dizziness or balance problem. The test requires cooperation on your part to be successful. It is important that you feel well rested for the test.During the test we will place special goggles over your eyes to record your eye movements. In some cases we need to use surface electrodes applied around your eyes instead . During the test you will be asked to look at and track a lighted target. You will also be recorded while lying in certain positions. Lastly your inner ears will be stimulated with warm and cool air to measure their response. The whole test takes about two hours. There is generally little discomfort. Certain parts may make you feel dizzy, but this dizziness subsides quickly. Each step of the test will be explained to you by the tech as the test is done. After the results are interpreted, they will be sent to your doctor.
In order to achieve the best test results, you should carefully follow these instructions:
- Contact lenses should NOT be worn 3 days prior to testing or on the test day. Glasses should be worn during the 3 days and during the test.
- Wearing flat or low heeled shoes is recommended.
- Please wash your face thoroughly. (Mascara, make-up, creams, and lotions should NOT be used.)
- Avoid solid foods or milk for 2 to 4 hours before the test.
- Please do not have any coffee, tea, cola, or caffeine after midnight on the day of the test.
- You shouldn't take aspirin or medication containing aspirin for two days before the test.
- You shouldn't consume alcoholic beverages or liquid medication containing alcohol for two days before testing.
Clean both ears
How to use ear drops, (Murine or any ear wax removal system)
- Patient should lie on one side of a couch or bed
- A few drops of the ear drop solution should be placed in the external canal of the ear (enough to fill the canal).
- Place a cotton ball in the ear canal to seal it.
- Leave the ear drops in the ear canal approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once time period has passed turn your head down towards a sink to empty.
- Flush ear canal with lukewarm water (Using a syringe or blue puffer ball)
- Repeat steps 1 through 6 on other ear
*** Do not use if you have perforated eardrum (tympanic Membrane). ***
Steps 1 through 7 should be completed once or twice daily two days priors to coming into the office for your testing. Please plan accordingly.Depending on the wax build-up in the ear canal, this can be done early in the morning, then in the evening.